My family has been plagued these last two weeks with the sniffles, headaches, body aches, coughing, sneezing, etc. This Creamy, Roasted Garlic-Squash Soup sounds mighty yummy but, I have not wanted to cook lately/nor have I had the energy to. Because of my not feeling well, we have been eating pretty unhealthy lately…time to make a change!! I was told my my friend that if i crush a clove of garlic and place it on a piece of toast with some butter and eat that 3 times a day. I have not tried it yet, but she told me that if I were to do this while taking Vitamin C, it will act as an antibiotic as well as a decongestant. Eating garlic like this, PLUS adding this soup…I think we will be heading in the right direction!
Roasting garlic takes away the “bite” of raw garlic…and sweetens it a bit, makes it yummy! This soup is packed with vitamins, and has healing qualities from the garlic, so make some today~I sure am!! You can click on this link to get this recipe as well as finding it below.
Creamy Roasted Garlic-Squash Soup-from Food.com and Earth Balance
2 heads garlic
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup Earth Balance® Natural Buttery Spread
2 cups diced onions
1/2 cup diced celery
3/4 cup diced carrot
4 pounds butternut squash, seeded, peeled, and roughly chopped
6 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons freshly chopped sage
1/2 cup Earth Balance® Soymilk (unsweetened)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Cut the garlic heads in half crosswise. Rub the cut surfaces with the olive oil and put back together. Wrap in foil and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the oven and let cool.
3. Meanwhile, melt the Earth Balance® Buttery Spread in a large pot over medium heat.
4. Sauté the onions, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent. Add the squash, broth and sage. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until the squash is tender.
5. Once the garlic has cooled, remove and mash the cloves. Stir into the soup.
6. Purée the soup in a blender or food processor in batches until smooth.
7. Return to the pot and stir in the Earth Balance® Soymilk.
8. Season with the salt and pepper.
You can also make up some extra roasted garlic using step #2 from the recipe to whip up some garlic bread to enjoy with the soup. Just toast up some crusty French bread, coat with Earth Balance® Natural Buttery Spread then top off with a smear of roasted garlic directly from the bulb. Sprinkle with a bit of salt or dried herbs for a filling & hearty meal!