I know most of us know what to do to help us when we are sick…but with cold and flu season coming a bit early this year (I know personally…I have been sick for 24 hours now), this is just a reminder of what to do to ease your symptoms or those of someone you love.
* Water, Water, Water~ok, you can drink almost any fluids. Water, juice, electrolyte drinks, non caffeinated sodas, herbal tea. Just make sure you sip whatever you are drinking. If you try gulping, it just might come right back up on you.
* Sip soup~don’t eat the veggies or anything in the soup…just sip the broth. Soup does have some medicinal properties. Who knows why soup makes us feel better, but it does.
* Rest, Rest, Rest~yes, you heard me. Those of you who don’t like to lounge around, rest is always best when you are ill. Rest up during the day and make sure you get a good night’s sleep.
* Use a Humidifier~breathing moist air aids nasal congestion as well as sore throats. An alternative to a humidifier is get a pot of water, bring it to a boil. Drape a towel over your head while letting the steam go up your nasal passageways. Make sure your eyes are kept shut and breathe it in for 30 seconds.
* Gargle on Salt Water~especially after you have been laying down and have excessive mucus. This will help also if your ears are plugged up, it will help to open the Eustachian tubes.
*Nasal Irrigation~use that neti pot!! This will help with a stuffy nose, post nasal drip as well as reduce the risk of sinus infections.
* Take Fever Reducers~acetaminophen, aspirin, ibuprofen all will relieve the symptoms you are experiencing, especially if you are feverish and/or have a headache.
I hope this helps and aides in your symptoms!!