Dr. David Katz stated that “This generation of kids growing up today, will be the first generation to have a shorter life span than their parents.”
- 17% of children between the ages of 6 and 11 are overweight
- 8% of children are limited in activity due to some kind of health condition
- 18% of American adults have high cholesterol
- 30+% of American adults have high blood pressure
- About 10% of Americans have diabetes
To me this is the worst statistic…over 75% of Americans do NOT consume the recommended servings of fruit and vegetables
Many experts agree that approximately 70% of disease is directly related to what we eat and drink!!!
- 1 out of every 2 children will develop heart disease (this is scary to me, I have 4 children…that means that 2 of my children will develop this horrible condition)
- 1 out of every 3 children born between the years of 2000 and now, will develop diabetes (again, it hits home!!)
- By the age of 3, children already have some fatty deposits in their arteries
- By the age of 12, 70% of all American children have beginning stages of hardening of the arteries
Dr. David Katz also stated that “Today’s children will experience more chronic degenerative disease as a result of their poor eating habits than from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs combined.”
I cannot sit back and let this happen to my children, it is difficult, but in the long run…it will be well worth it!!! We owe our children a better life…let’s give them a chance!!!